Extreme weight loss can put your body under a lot of stress. Nutrient deficiencies, stress and hormonal shifts because of weight loss can cause hair loss. Also, restrictive diets and weight loss surgery can have hair loss as a side effect.
Nutrient deficiencies after crash dieting can result in hair loss. Acute telogen effluvium (TE) is a hair loss condition that has been linked directly to weight loss. TE usually starts 3 months after it has been triggered and lasts for about 6 months. Androgenic alopecia is referred to male or female patterns of hair loss, is a TE type that can last for over 6 months.
How does weight loss cause hair loss and how are the two linked together?
The following are some of the top reasons why weight loss can cause hair loss:
Crash dieting: Calorie restrictions and dietary deficiencies and psychological stress all can cause extreme hair loss. With the most common reasons for hair loss in women being iron deficiency and psychological stress.
Low protein diet: protein and some amino acid deficiencies can cause hair loss.
Weight loss surgeries: Weight loss surgeries are linked to hair loss due to malnutrition and vitamin deficiencies patients experience after the operation. According to a study done in 2020 72% of women who undergo sleeve gastrectomy experience hair loss after the surgery.
Is hair loss Dangerous?
Hair loss is not dangerous in and of itself but the underlying causes behind hair loss after weight loss may be. Nutrient deficits and extreme calorie restriction can lead to serious health issues such as anaemia, muscle loss, reduced brain function, heart issues and immune system dysfunction.
How to prevent Hair loss when trying to lose weight?
When trying to lose weight you must aim for a long-term healthy weight loss goal. Crash diets can be harmful if you are following a diğet that restricts several foods such as the vegan diet. We recommend adding nutrient-dense foods and supplements to your diet to make up for the lack of nutrients in your diet.
If you are experiencing hair loss due to nutrient deficiencies such as zinc or iron. Treating this condition and taking supplements for these deficiencies will result in stopping hair loss and hair regrowth.
How to Promote Healthy Hair Growth
If you are concerned about hair loss, it’s important to focus on promoting healthy hair growth by following a balanced and nutritious diet. This means eating a variety of nutrient-dense foods that provide the vitamins and minerals your hair needs to grow strong and healthy.
- Here are some tips for promoting healthy hair growth through diet:
- Consume a balanced diet: A diet that includes a variety of nutrient-dense foods, such as lean protein, healthy fats, and complex carbohydrates, can support healthy hair growth.
- Eat enough calories: Restricting your calorie intake can lead to hair loss, so it’s important to consume enough calories to support your body’s needs.
- Include foods rich in biotin, iron, and zinc: Biotin, iron, and zinc are important nutrients that support healthy hair growth, so be sure to include foods that are rich in these nutrients in your diet.
- Limit processed and junk foods: Processed and junk foods are often low in essential nutrients and high in sugar and unhealthy fats, which can disrupt the normal hair growth cycle and cause hair to shed.
- Stay hydrated: Drinking plenty of water can help to promote healthy hair growth by keeping the scalp and hair hydrated.
- Reduce stress: Stress can disrupt the normal hair growth cycle and cause hair to shed, so it’s important to find ways to manage stress, such as through exercise, meditation, or therapy.
In conclusion, there is a clear link between hair loss and weight loss, and it’s important to be mindful of how your diet and lifestyle can impact the health of your hair. By following a balanced and nutritious diet, reducing stress, and avoiding extreme or restrictive diets, you can help to promote healthy hair growth and reduce the risk of hair loss.
It’s also important to remember that hair loss can be caused by a variety of factors, and it’s always a good idea to speak with your doctor if you are concerned about hair loss. Your doctor can help you determine the underlying cause of your hair loss and recommend a treatment plan that is right for you. In some cases, hair loss may be a symptom of a larger health issue, such as a hormonal imbalance or a medical condition. By addressing the underlying cause of your hair loss, you can help to promote healthy hair growth and restore the health of your hair. So, if you are experiencing hair loss, don’t lose hope. With the right care and nutrition, you can promote healthy hair growth and enjoy a full and luscious head of hair once again. So, start eating right, reduce stress, and enjoy the benefits of a healthy and beautiful head of hair!
If you are experiencing hair loss a hair transplant surgery might be the best long term solution for you. Contact our Estevitalya Hair Clinic in Antalya for more information about hair transplant and whether you are a good candidate for this surgery or not.